I am working with Kansas Beef to bring you a fabulously delicious recipe and a fun giveaway! My new “dweebette” contributor is Rachel. She shares below her thoughts about the Rock & Roll Beef Wraps, how to make it work perfect for school lunches, and the recipe alteration she made that brought smiles all around the table!
Our family now refers to this dish as “Ranch Tacos” as it calls for a packet of ranch dressing to be mixed with a beef, veggie and quinoa mixture before being rolled into warm, whole-wheat flour tortillas. Altering the recipe to suit my family’s preferences, I substituted thin slices of sauteed red onion for the broccoli slaw.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it incorporates the popular superfood, quinoa. If you’re not familiar with it, quinoa is a seed that can function in many recipes similar to grains such as rice. However, it is higher in protein than many grains and also provides other amazing nutrients like omega 3s, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and other antioxidant phytonutrients.
In addition to the quinoa goodness, the lean beef in this recipe provides high-quality protein, which helps support growth, and maintain body tissues and improve physical performance. The whole grain flour tortillas also help to promote satiety without gorging on empty carbs. Served with some raw veggie dipping sticks on the side, such as carrots or bell peppers, this meal becomes a power-packed, well-rounded nutritional addition to your normal dinner and lunch routines.
Rock & Roll Beef Wraps Recipe (red onion variation)
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups sliced red onion, sauteed
- 4 medium whole grain or spinach tortillas (7 to 8-inch diameter)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
- Stir in water, quinoa, ranch dressing mix and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Stir in red onion; cook, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until slaw is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Divide beef mixture evenly among tortillas; garnish with toppings, as desired. Fold over sides of tortillas and rolling up to enclose filling.
One lucky Mama Dweeb reader will win a $50 VISA gift card so you can get cooking some delicious & healthy meals for your family!
Giveaway ends 8/31 at 11:59pm CST. USA only, 18+ yrs to enter. Follow the widget instructions and good luck!
Congrats Cynthia! Thank you all for your entries 🙂