Are you in the mood for a super simple gluten-free crunchy snack?! I’m always looking for something new and different to munch on. For me one key to sticking with healthy eating habits is to keep it varied and interesting. That same ol’ bag of raw carrots just doesn’t cut it for me when I’m craving the crunch of a cracker or chip.
I know there are a lot of decent – and a few really scrumptious – gluten-free crackers and chips on the shelves out there, usually requiring you to shell out a chunk of change. When looking for something to go with my honeyed goat cheese spread, I decided to stick with simple whole pecans. When pecans are lightly toasted with just a dash of salt and an ever-so-slight sprinkle of sugar, their flavor explodes and their texture comes alive with a majorly satisfying crunch factor. I like to think of these little jewels as gourmet snack crackers and they’re so much yummier than the nut-based cardboard-tasting options on the market.
Now, let’s talk goat cheese. There is a huge amount of variety out there when it comes to goat cheese – the taste can range from pungent to subtle, while the consistency can be range from smooth and spreadable to firm and crumbly. For this recipe, look for a soft and creamy texture along with a medium to mild flavor. Goat cheese of this variety is reminiscent of cream cheese with its rich, velvety goodness while being happily lower in fat, calories and cholesterol. Some people also find that goat milk products are much friendlier on their digestive system compared to traditional cows milk dairy products.
But enough of those technical details – I just LOVE how the creamy tang of the sweetened goat cheese compliments the warm earthiness of the pecans. This is a match made in whole foods heaven!
What do you reach for when you’re looking for a serious gluten-free crunch sensation? Comment below and share your favorite go-to gluten-free snacks.
- 1 – 4 ounce log of plain soft goat cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of clover honey (local and/or raw is best)
- 6 ounces (1.5 cups) raw or blanched pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon raw or natural sugar (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Place the goat cheese in a bowl and pour the honey over it.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and work together with a fork until you have an even consistency.
- Using a spoon, form the cheese spread into a round dollop and place it at the center of a medium sized serving plate.
- Melt the coconut oil in a 10 to 12 inch sauté pan, add the pecans and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle over a dash of salt and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Stir every minute or two until the pecans have evenly browned.
- Transfer toasted pecans to a plate to cool, them arrange them around the honeyed goat cheese spread.
- Use the toasted pecans to scoop up the cheese spread and crunch away!