You know what is so fun on those stormy summer nights? Making soup.
Hot, delicious, soup.
Fusilli Pasta Soup Recipe
You won’t find me eating my soup only autumn or spring days. Summer nights are perfect for soups and this fusilli pasta soup really hits the spot! I hope you enjoy this recipe. One thing I had no idea about was pasta cookers. So hover here to learn more about pasta cookers.
Let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
- 6 chicken wings
- 8 + 1 cup water, divided
- 1 pound of fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsnips, sliced and cut in half
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- 1 large sprig of parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp old bay
- 1 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
- sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- In a large stock pot place add 8 cups of water and chicken wings over medium heat. Cook chicken for an hour, skimming off foam. Using a slotted spoon remove chicken wings from pot and place in a large bowl to cool. When chicken is cool enough to safely handle remove meat and discard skin and bones.
- Place a clean fine cloth over a large 5 cup measuring container, you can use a large rubber band to secure cloth to the rim of the bowl. Place you finger onto the center of the cloth and press down making a convex declivity. Slowly pour chicken broth onto cloth little by little. Strain broth until you have 5 cups. Salt and pepper to taste and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Set aside. Or use can chicken stock, but the homemade stock is totally worth it. You decide.
- Clean stock pot and add 5 cups of chicken stock, add chicken meat and rosemary sprig. Heat stock and chicken over low heat until wisps of steam appear.
- In a skillet over medium heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil. When the oil is hot add onion, carrots and parsnips, saute until onions soft and translucent. Add to chicken stock.
- Add fusilli pasta and cook on low heat until pasta is al dente. Remove from heat and add chopped flat leaf parsley. Taste and adjust flavor with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot.