Even if you are a beginning cupcake decorator, with this recipe and tutorial, you’ll be able to make your own narwhal cupcakes!
Perfect for An Ocean-Themed Birthday Party
I love these cute little narwhal cupcakes! If you are having an “under the sea” themed birthday party, then these should be your main desserts. They are so easy to make too.
Narwhal Cupcakes With Homemade Buttercream Frosting
I made the cupcakes with boxed cake mix, but I wanted to make the frosting homemade. I just love buttercream frosting when I make it myself. This frosting recipe isn’t too sweet, so you’ll enjoy biting into and savoring every sweet morsel.
How To Decorate Narwhal Cupcakes
Here are the step-by-step pictures showing you how to decorate the narwhal cupcakes.
Before you even begin, please let your cupcakes cool completely. They shouldn’t be warm to the touch at all. If they are, the frosting will melt and they will look like they belong on an episode of Nailed It!
1. Frost the Narwhal’s Body
This doesn’t have to be perfect. I found that an ice-cream scoop makes the perfect shape and puts the exact amount of frosting on the cupcake for this step.
2. Add the Narwhale’s Horn
Stick the unicorn horn into the blue frosting towards the front of the cupcake.
3. Add The Narwhal’s Face
Use a #3 tip piping bag to add the eyes and smile on the narwhal. Use another #3 tip piping bag for the pink circles on the cheeks.
Use a larger tip to add the round flippers on the sides of the narwhal.
4. Attach The Fondant Tail
Finally, roll out the blue fondant and cut the whale’s tails out. Then, attach them to the narwhal.
That’s it! I also have a printable recipe card with all the details too.
If you enjoy desserts, check out these recipes next:
- 1 box of french vanilla cake mix cake mix
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/2 C of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- 1 Package Blue Fondant
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 5 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6-10 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Sky blue, soft pink and black gel food coloring
- 1 package of unicorn horn royal icing transfers
To Make the Fondant Tail
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto cutting board and roll fondant into 1/4 inch thickness
- Cut out the shape of the Whale Tale
- Allow to dry out overnight
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin pan with the white cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined
- Mix in a few drops of the blue food coloring into the cake batter
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 way full
- Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
Buttercream Frosting Directions
- Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Once the frosting is made, split it into 3 bowls
- Scoop about 1 C of the frosting into one bowl and add in a black food coloring
- Scoop about 1/2 C of the frosting into the second bowl and add in a few drops of pink food coloring
- Mix in a few drops of the sky blue gel food coloring into the remaining frosting
- Scoop about 2 C of blue frosting into the medium round tip
- Scoop the black frosting into one #3 tip piping bag
- Scoop the pink frosting into the other #3 piping bag
Narwhale Design Instructions
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop some blue frosting onto the cupcakes
- Place a "Unicorn horn" into the top center of the frosting
- Using the black frosting pipe out a smile
- Using the pink frosting pipe two dots for the cheeks
- Using the medium round tip, pipe the whales "flippers" on the side by piping a small dollop on both sides
- Stick the tail into the top back of the frosting