This Frito pie recipe is easy to make in the slow cooker. It’s easy to customize, perfect for large families, and a good camping recipe too!
No, this post is not sponsored by Frito – we just really love these chips! They are the perfect size and shape to add to our chili. Make this recipe and you’ll agree!
Disclaimer: Any products that I link to on Amazon.com are affiliate links. That means I will earn a small commission if you shop through my link, but at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
What Is Frito Pie?
Frito Pie is a recipe with tortilla chips on the bottom of the bowl/dish and some kind of chili on top. It started in either Mexico or Texas and has spread from there.
There are a ton of different Frito pie recipes out there! Mine is a really quick and easy slow cooker version. I’ll even share ways you can make it spicier or milder.
If you don’t want all the tips – scroll on down to the printable recipe card at the bottom. I even have a “jump to recipe” button at the top of this post. I hope my tips are helpful.
Slow Cooker Size
How big of a slow cooker do I need to make chili?
This depends on how many people you are hoping to feed. Here is a list of slow cooker sizes based on how much you will make:
- Small 2-Quart: Use this to make enough chili for 1-2 people. It’s also great for queso or dips.
- Medium 4-Quart: This is best for making enough chili for 4-8 people. It’s a smaller one, but still feeds a family.
- Large 8-Quart: This is what you need if you are making enough to feed a crowd of 8 or more people.
They make even larger slow cookers than that! Most people use 4, 6, or 8-Quart slow cookers.
Slow Cooker Tips
Even though this is a super easy recipe, here are a few tips that I hope help you out!
Pre-Cook The Meat
If you know you are going to have a really busy day, then brown the ground beef, onion, sand peppers ahead of time Store it in your refrigerator – it will last up to 5 days.
Then, all you have to do is put everything in the slow cooker and turn it on!
Use A Liner
In my photos, I did not use a slow cooker liner, but I have used them in the past and loved it! It saves you lots of time because you don’t have to scrub your slow cooker bowl afterward.
Adjust The Spice
My last tip is to make this as spicy or as mild as you want it. Controlling the spice levels is really easy. My recipe is pretty hot.
This is the fun part! Use whatever toppings you normally like on your chili. Some of my favorite ideas are:
- Shredded Lettuce
- Avocado Slices
- Jalapeno Slices
- Shredded Cheese
- Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
How To Take Frito Pie Camping
This is also a wonderful camping recipe too! Just make everything in a Dutch oven over the campfire. This recipe shows you how to do it – right over the coals.
Then, open mini bags of Fritos and serve the chili on top of the chips. Add the cheese and dig in! It’s so good – and no dirty plates or bowls.
That’s it! Here is the entire recipe in the printable recipe card!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef 80/20
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces can ) Chili Beans - do not drain
- 1 ( 8 ounce can ) Tomato sauce
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes ( ounce can ) – do not drain
- 1 HOT Taco seasoning packet
- 1 Mexican bouillon cube
- In a large skillet brown beef and onions over medium-high heat.
- Cook until the beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add everything in the Crock Pot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- In individual serving bowls, add a handful of Fritos, shredded lettuceand the spicy meat mixture.
- Then top with your favorite taco toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 938mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 38g
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Here are even more of my favorite slow cooker recipes!