Getting divorced is easier if you know what to do and what to expect. This makes preparation a necessary step no matter what kind of divorce termination you opt for. Review a general divorce in Michigan checklist for different situations and create your plan on how to end your marriage without extra hassle.
If you are sure that Michigan is the right place to break up officially, you must comply with the local residency rules first. This means that at least one of the partners ought to:
- reside in the state for a minimum of 180 days prior to appealing for divorce;
- reside in the county the court in which services you are to use is located for 10 days before the filing at least.
Once you pass the state demands, you can proceed with your preparation considering the local family law.
When preparing for divorce in Michigan, you are expected to identify the reason for your relationships to finalize officially. Luckily, Michigan is a no-fault divorce state implying that neither partner has to be announced guilty of the ruined marriage.
But one of you should claim in writing that your marriage has failed and cannot be fixed anyway. This will save you time and money without the necessity to evidence the responsibility of any of the partners to have to lead the relationship to failure.
An uncontested divorce is always a preferred and recommended option. If you manage to crack a deal with your partner, you will gain a list of benefits from your breakup. Typically, the uncontested divorce plan will look like this:
- Filing for divorce – you ought to gather and file a Petition (can be a joined one if you come to terms on all the major points), Domestic violence screening paper, Confidential Case Inventory (not compulsory), Proposed Consent Judgement/Order.
- Serving your spouse – if you complete a joint Petition you can skip this step.
- Attending final hearing – if the judge finds your agreement on major points compliant with the local legislature and sensible, it will be approved and your case will be finalized without a delay.
Additionally, an amicable divorce is usually the only case when you can exploit the services of online divorce in Michigan platform. It will create a perfect solution to save your time, money, and health in the end.
Yet, suppose an uncontested divorce is a mission impossible for you. Then you ought to make arrangements for a contested marriage termination. This will make it necessary to cover the subsequent steps:
- Filing for divorce – collect and deliver Complaint for Divorce and Summons to the court.
- Serving your spouse – you ought to announce officially to your partner that you wish to terminate your marriage.
- Getting a response – you cannot proceed with the divorce until your partner presents you with official feedback.
- Attending a hearing – as soon as the official response is due, you will get your first court meeting officially appointed. The judge will assist you in settling the divorce points you fail to solve by yourself.
- Entering a Judgement of Divorce – after the respective number of hearings when you are finally ready to come to terms with each other, the judge will validate the docs to regulate your relationships and life after divorce.
Mind that the more you and your former beloved are unwilling to cooperate, the more money and efforts you are to waste.
Disregarding the type of divorce you select, you won’t be able to participate in any court hearing unless the waiting period passes. For cases with children, you will have to wait for half a year, while for other situations the waiting period equals 60 days after appealing.
A divorce preparation checklist is still not enough if you cannot apply it properly. So, another point for you to consider is gathering a team of specialists. This implies that you should ask the relevant professionals for assistance to reach beneficial outcomes. They may include:
- Family Law Attorney
- Financial Advisor
- Professional Evaluator
- Family Counselor
You may have the wish to go cheap with your marriage termination, but what should matter for you is the aftermath. This means that you’d better invest more effort and funds in the process so that the cooperation with the experienced divorce experts will guarantee a peaceful and comfortable life afterward.