Whether you call it French press or plunger coffee, this guide will tell you everything you need to knew to brew the perfect cup!
Plunger coffee is also known as plunger pot coffee, Dutch coffee, or stove-top coffee. It’s a simple brewing method that makes an aromatic and smooth cup of java. In this post, Glasshouse Mountains Coffee will teach all about the plunger pot method, why it’s so popular, and how to make Plunger Coffee at home.
What is plunger coffee?
Plunger coffee is a simple brewing method that uses a coffee maker, also known as a “pot” or a “mug”. It’s also sometimes called a French press or a press pot (because it’s also used to make tea).
In a plunger pot, you put a ground coffee pot, add hot water and let the coffee brew. Then, you press the resulting brew through a fine filter. The result is a pot of coffee (or a single mug full) that is delicious and has almost no grounds.
How to make plunger coffee
As explained above, the key to perfect plunger coffee is letting the grinds steep in hot water for 3 to 5 minutes. This allows the beneficial oils in the coffee beans to seep into the water and create a rich aroma and flavor. Then, press the coffee as it’s still brewing to get rid of most of the grounds. Finally, add some hot water to your cup for the perfect amount of coffee. Here are the steps for perfect plunger coffee:
- Choose a medium-size coffee filter. If you use a large one, there won’t be enough coffee in your cup. If you use a small one, you will end up with weak coffee.
- Put ground coffee in the bottom of the pot. Use two tablespoons (20 grams) of ground coffee per 6 ounces (180 milliliters) of water. More coffee will make your coffee bitter, and less coffee will make it weak.
- Add hot water to the pot. Depending on how strong you want your coffee, you can use anywhere between 4 and 6 ounces (120 – 180 ml) of water. –
- Let the coffee steep. The coffee will bubble slightly as it steeps, but you will know it’s ready when the bubbles stop.
- Press the coffee. Put a coffee filter on top of the pot and press down the plunger. Make sure you have a firm grip on the plunger because it will be boiling.
- Serve the coffee. Add hot water to your cup (a single coffee mug) to get the perfect amount of coffee.
Why is plunger coffee so popular?
Plunger coffee is one of the simplest ways to make coffee at home, it’s cheap, and it tastes fantastic. What’s not to love? While it may seem like a silly old-fashioned way to make coffee, plunger coffee has some serious advantages.
First, it’s straightforward to use. All you need to do is put ground coffee and water in a pot and let it sit for a few minutes. Making plunger coffee doesn’t take much attention. Second, it was cheap.
Tips for making perfect plunger coffee
- Use fresh beans. If you want fantastic coffee, you need to use good coffee beans. If you drink coffee every day, it’s worth investing in some fresh beans.
- Don’t use boiling water. If you put boiling water in the coffee, you will scald and burn the coffee. This will ruin the flavor of the coffee and make it bitter.
- Use the correct grind. Make sure you use a coarse grind for plunger coffee. If you use a fine grind, it will run through the coffee filter and make your coffee gritty.
- Use a coffee filter that is not too thick. You want a coffee filter that will absorb the coffee grounds but not be too thick, or they won’t let the coffee through.
2nd-best alternative: Espresso maker or stovetop espresso maker
You can also make espresso with an espresso maker. An espresso maker is a small coffee maker that uses pressure to extract a rich, concentrated brew.
- The espresso maker is a standard household machine found in almost any store selling kitchen appliances.
- The espresso maker brews coffee on a stovetop. It’s a less expensive way to make espresso than buying an espresso machine.
While espresso is the most famous brewing method in the world, plunger coffee is the most common. This method is straightforward and makes a delicious, rich cup of coffee that doesn’t require much attention. If you want a simple brewing method that you can do at home with just a few items, plunger coffee is a good choice.
More Coffee Resources
Plunger coffee (or French Press) is a fun way to enjoy a pot of coffee. Check out my guide to coffee roasting styles so you can pick out the perfect beans. These barista tips will help you brew coffee like a pro while you are at home.