This is a guest post from a good friend and fellow blogger Kelli. Her full bio will be at the end of the post. I found this to be extremely helpful and I hope it helps you too!
As a very busy mom of three little boys, I am always getting asked, “How do you do it all?” My standard answer is, “I have no idea!” But, in actuality, I do or don’t do a few things that most people don’t think of.
So, if you are interested in finding more time in your day to devote to your kids, your blog, or yourself, continue reading on. Or, don’t read it and save 2 minutes! 🙂
1. Turn off the television! I watch T.V. but not every night. When I do watch, I fold laundry, knit, cross-stitch, draft posts, file papers, check school papers, or something else productive. Even if you only watch television 1 hour a day, you are losing 365 hours a year! How many hours are you wasting in front of your electronic box? CSI, CSI NY, and CSI Miami waste 3 hours a week. 🙂 Idol and Survivor add three more hours. Seriously think about it. If you can’t give up your shows, can you do something during them?
2. Shop Once! I only majorly shop once a month. Not only do I save all the wasted time, but also money! One main shopping trip (groceries, toiletries, prescriptions, dog food, etc) per month gives me only one shot at impulse buying. 🙂
3. Menu Plan! It seems crazy, but if my menu is planned then not only do I know what to purchase at the grocery store, but I also know what to cook! No last minute runs to the grocery store and no “quick” trips to a restaurant! Again, time AND money saved.
4. Utilize Wait Time! We all have those ridiculous time wasters, USE THEM! Doctor’s Office, Vet, School Pick Up Lines, Sports Practice… take things with you: phone calls to make, bills to pay, correspondence, notebook for brainstorming and drafting posts, crafts, etc.
5. Automate Payments! Have your power, cell phone, house phone, insurance, garbage, credit card payments, water, etc automatically come out of your account and not only do you no longer have late fees, but you don’t have to sit down and pay bills. Same goes with paychecks… sign up for direct deposit (if your company offers it) and you don’t have to go to the bank anymore!
6. Use a Timer! We all have to do tasks that we prefer:
- Check email
- Update FaceBook
- Read and Comment on Blogs
- Network on Twitter
… and those to do tasks that we HATE:
- Iron Laundry
- Put Away Laundry (yes, I despise laundry)
- Dust House
- Clean Toilets
If you use your timer, you will find that you get more done. It is easy to get sucked into those tasks that we enjoy and hard to do the ones we don’t. Spend one hour testing this and you will be AMAZED at #1 how easy it is and #2 how much you get done. Do 15 minutes of “must do” alternated with 15 minutes of fun. Remember, you are doing 1 hour to start, so you will do two of each!
I would love to know how these tips work for you and if you have a tip or two to share to give us all a bit more time for our blog… err family.
Kelli writes tips and tricks to being a fit, stay at home, blogger who parents (or parent who blogs? LOL!) at 3 Boys and a Dog. She also has a weekly “Blogging Basics” series that everyone should check o