By Annie Kearns
This cake makes me so happy when I look at it – the white and pink frosting and all the sprinkles! And I’m sharing my funfetti cake recipe with you!
Homemade Funfetti Cake
Sometimes a cake just makes you so….HAPPY. And this one definitely makes me smile. I love all the bright colors and the dainty little sprinkles throughout the white cake.
All the Occasions for an Elegant Funfetti Cake
This cake is so pretty, so cheery. It’s perfect for any celebration! But here are some of the most popular ways you can use this cake:
- Mermaid Birthday Party – just add some teal accents in with the pink
- Unicorn Birthday Cake – It’s already perfect, it just needs a horn and some piping unicorn eyes decoration
- Baby Shower
- Wedding Shower
- Birthday Cake
- Anniversary Cake
Basically, if someone loves sparkles and sprinkles, this is the cake to make!
Since you are making both the cake and the frosting from scratch, there are going to be a lot of ingredients in this list. Here’s what you’ll need.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Egg whites
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
How To Cut A 3-Layer Cake
I think the most difficult part of this cake is sharing it! It’s so beautiful and it looks delicate on the plate with the typical triangle slice.
But if you are sharing this cake with a larger party, I suggest following this video guide:
Keep in mind that the diameter of the cake will determine how many slices you can make.
How do you make buttercream frosting so smooth on the cake?
This is a really good question! The answer is – with lots of practice. Keep making round cakes. Learn how to gently spread the frosting on the cake and don’t give up.
But there are some tips you can use to help you along the way too.
1.) Use An Icing Smoother
This is such a valuable tool! You could try and make do with a butter knife, but the smoother has a sharper edge and is easier to handle. They usually can be found pretty cheap too.
2.) Buy a Turntable
No, not for records, for your cake! Getting a round table that you can turn as you frost the cake makes a huge difference. You can actually get a smooth finish by turning while you smooth it. Often what creates the most issues is the stopping as you walk around the cake.
3.) Use a Large Piping Pag
How you pipe the frosting also makes a huge difference. Wilton makes a large piping bag that you can use to spread frosting on almost half the cake at once.
4.) Follow This Tutorial
Finally, go to Life Love Sugar and follow their tutorial. You will find links to everything you need as well as step by step pictures. If you follow all those steps you’ll have a gorgeous and picture-perfect cake!
Funfetti Cake Recipe
Here’s the complete recipe! Happy baking! If you make it, please tag @Venture1105 on Instagram so I can see!
For the cake
- 2 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup jimmie sprinkles
For the Frosting
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Combine all dry ingredients (minus sugar) into a small bowl and set aside. Combine the milk and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Slowly add in the sugar until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add in the egg whites one at a time, making sure to combine each before adding the other.
- Add in about ½ of the dry mixture while mixing on a low speed. Alternate adding in dry and wet ingredients until they are all combined. Mix for an additional 3 minutes on a medium speed. Add in the sprinkles last and mix just until combined.
- Prepare 3 6″ cake pans with nonstick spray and distribute the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Cream together the butter until light and fluffy and there are no lumps. Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time while on a low speed.
- Add in the vanilla and heavy cream and mix until light and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of cake on a cake board or plate and top with about 1/2 cup of buttercream and smooth out evenly. Add the next layer and continue with each layer of cake. Completely cover the outside of the cake with the remaining buttercream and smooth with a bench scrapper or spatula. Personalize by adding toppings of your choosing!
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 748 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 530mg Carbohydrates: 100g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 75g Protein: 6g
More Show-Stopping Dessert Ideas
Are you still in the mood to make more desserts? Here are some of my favorite recipes.