In an effort to be healthier, I have started substituting almond milk for cow’s milk. I try to cut down on cheese too, but it’s hard. Very hard. Cause I love me some gooey, cheesy pasta. And gooey, cheesy veggies. Scrumptious! I was craving my favorite comfort food ever – Macaroni & Cheese – and tried to make it a tad healthier. So, I used whole wheat shells noodles instead of white macaroni noodles and almond milk instead of cow’s milk. I asked for help on my Facebook Fan page to pick a name for this recipe. I also tweeted out for more ideas. That is when @Spoonful_com from the Disney site “Spoonful” gave me the idea I used! Love it!
OH! And if you want to make clean shells and cheese, you can replace the bacon bits with cut up bacon. I just wanted to save time and get my kids fed 🙂
Here is the recipe!
1 box whole wheat shell noodles
2 bags shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Almond milk
Salt & pepper to taste
Bacon Bits to enhance flavor
1. Boil the noodles, strain, return to pot.
2. Dump the 2 bags of cheese on the noodles
3. Still till cheese is melting
4. Pour a little bit of Almond milk in the pot. I didn’t actually measure, I just put a little bit in, stirred, then put a tiny bit more in, to get the consistency I wanted.
5. Taste and add salt & pepper until you are thinking it is delicious!
6. scoop onto plates and garnish with bacon bits! (If you want to use real bacon, that would be yummy too!)
What do you think? Does almond milk in mac & cheese taste good? I thought it enhanced the flavor of the cheese, and my kids loved it. Can’t wait to hear what you thought!