Elevate dinner with this homemade Slippery Pot Pie Recipe.
This slippery pot pie recipe is an authentic Pennsylvania Dutch recipe, made with one super easy shortcut. The noodles are made completely from scratch and the taste will remind you of grandma’s homemade chicken soup.
This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Slippery Pot Pie Recipe
What is slippery pot pie?
When I first moved to West Virginia from Kansas, I had never heard of slippery pot pie. Then my mother-in-law made us some and I vowed to learn how to make it for my family.
Slippery Pot Pie – or Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Soup – is basically a chicken soup with homemade flat noodles. The noodles are 1/4 inch thick and have a slightly chewy texture. In fact, what makes this “slippery pot pie” is the noodles. You have to make them from scratch and make them square.
Slippery Pot Pie Shopping List
Before you make slippery pot pie, you’ll need this from the store:
- Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- Chicken Breasts or Thighs
- Red Potatoes
- Yellow onion
- Salt and Pepper
There really aren’t that many ingredients. It’s pretty fantastic!
My Secret Weapon – Better Than Bouillon
Since I am already taking a lot of time to make the noodles from scratch, I took a little shortcut with the chicken broth. I used the Roasted Chicken base.
I am all about finding ways to save time in the kitchen. These are so much faster and better than the cubes! Those were just a bit more time consuming, unwrapping each cube and then hoping they dissolved correctly.
Better than Bouillon is a paste. One teaspoon of paste makes 8 ounces of broth. You won’t believe the amount of flavor packed in these jars!
My favorite flavor by far is the roasted chicken base. I use so much chicken broth in my soups and slow cooker dishes. All the spices in this base are balanced perfectly. No more trying to figure out what else it needs!
Where to Buy Better Than Bouillon
Search for Better Than Bouillon using the product locator on the their website.
You can also order some online. They have some amazing and hard to find flavors available online.
Here categories and flavors you can buy. Imagine the possibilities!
- Premium Flavors: Chicken, Beef, Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Chili, Clam, Fish, Ham, Lobster, Mushroom and Turkey
- Organic: Roasted Chicken, Mushroom, Turkey, Beef and Vegetable
- Vegetarian: Vegetable, Roasted Garlic, Organic Vegetable, Vegetarian No Beef Base, Vegetarian No Chicken Base
- Reduced Sodium: Reduced Sodium Beef, Reduced Sodium Chicken, Reduced Sodium Vegetable
How to Make Slippery Pot Pie – Step By Step
Here’s how to make the slippery pot pie, step-by-step.
The first step is to prep all your ingredients. Chop the potatoes, pre-cook and chop the chicken, and chop up your onion and carrots. Set these aside. If you are running short on time, you can do this ahead of time and just keep them in the fridge.
Next, you are going to make the noodles. Get a large bowl and mix up the flour, milk, egg and butter with your hands.
Next, it is important to get the consistency of your dough just right. You don’t want it too sticky or too crumbly. If it is too sticky, add just a bit more flour. If it is crumby or crumbling too much, add a bit more milk.
After you get the dough the right consistency, flour your table and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. If the dough sticks to your rolling pin, put some flour on it.
Then with a sharp knife, cut the dough into squares. Now you are ready to make the broth and begin making the soup!
Get a large soup pot and fill it with 7 cups of water. Then, put 7 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon roasted chicken base in the water and mix well. Better Than Bouillon is a paste concentrate that is equivalent to a bouillon cube or broth.
Bring this mixture to a boil. Add in the carrots, potatoes, and onion. While it is boiling, slowly drop in your noodles, stirring gently after you add them.
If you stir the soup a little bit after adding a few noodles a time, you prevent them from clumping together.
When all the noodles are added to the pot, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and let it cook for about an hour. This is enough time for the veggies and noodles to all cook.
Then add the chicken and let it all cook for another 15 minutes.
The printable recipe card is below. But first – here’s a chance to WIN!!
VISA Gift Card Giveaway
I-C will randomly select winners from all program entries and will facilitate fulfillment of the winning prizes 9 winners.
- (9) $50 Visa Gift Cards
- (1) BTB Variety Gift Pack – includes flavors of Chicken, Vegetable, Chili, Beef and Garlic
- Dates: October 15 – November 5
Slippery Pot Pie Recipe
Here’s a printable card of the recipe. Pin this post so you can make it later. It is perfect for cool-weather days when you just need some home cooking.
- 3 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 tsp
- 7 teaspoons Better than Bouillon roasted chicken base
- 7 cups water
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 3/4 stick butter, softened
- 1/3 c (approximately) milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Cook chicken and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, egg, milk, butter and salt and pepper by hand.
- Make sure the dough is the right consistency. If it is too sticky, add more flour. If it is too dry, add a bit more milk.
- Flour your surface.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 1 inch squares
- Add Better than Bouillon to 7 cups a water. Bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots, onion, and potatoes to the boiling broth.
- While it is boiling, place the noodles in the broth. Stir after adding noodles a few at a time, to prevent clumping.
- Cover and cook at medium-low for 45 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, cover, and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parsley as a garnish.
More Chicken Recipes
I hope you enjoyed this chicken slippery pot pie recipe. If you enjoy making chicken dishes, you should try one of these: