Lizzie’s principal and K4 teacher held a seminar to teach the parents the echo reading method. They even provided childcare so you know I went! What I learned was a lot of fun and I use it to read with Lizzie as much as I can.
How to use the Echo Reading Method
- Ask the child to tell you what she thinks the book is about. Talk about the pictures on the front.
- Read the title, let her echo you.
- Turn to the first page. Ask what she sees in the pictures. What are the characters doing?
- Take her finger in yours and point to the words.
- Either read them together or you read a word and let her repeat it. (Do what she is comfortable with/wants to do)
- Turn page and repeat steps 3-5. Let her guess what the next word you point to is if it is a sight word you think she knows or is a word that is illustrated on the page. For example, if there is a picture of a dog reading a book, point to dog and let her sound it out or guess that word.
The most important thing with echo reading is to go at your child’s pace. You will discover how much she knows and where she is at. It is a lot of fun to read this way!
School Zone books for PreK are perfect echo reading books. They have beautiful, full page illustrations and sentences are short and simple. They also come with CDs. Lizzie loves to read with me, but she also like to play the CD and be challenged to try and follow along with them. They don’t go slow she she really is challenged!
These make a perfect gift for young readers! Check them out on Amazon.com or SchoolZone.com!
I received School Zone products to facilitate my review. All opinions are 100% mine.
[…]The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available […]……