I love Evernote! Ever since I heard Melissa of MomComm was teaching a course all about organizing your editorial calendar with Evernote, I knew I had to check out this app. (sidenote: the course is called Content Brew and that link is an affiliate link – I 100% back it up, so check it out!)
After trying out Evernote, I became quite obsessed. It can handle so much more than I will touch on here. I just wanted to share the nine basic features of Evernote.
To make this easy, I labeled the features with numbers and will explain what they do. If you want detailed screenshots about how to use Evernote as a blogging platform, The Tech Chick wrote a wonderful post! It also explains how to share your notebooks with other people.
Introduction to Evernote’s Features
- Title of Note – Name it something searchable. Evernote’s search capabilities are top notch and you can stay even more organized if you make the names keyword-specific.
- Name of Notebook – You can make as many notebooks as you need. This helps you keep business and personal notes separated. Opening notebooks is super simple, just one easy click. Definitely create different notebooks, you will love being that organized.
- Tags – The searchability of evernote is really amazing! Make the searching job easier by using lots of keyword tags for your note. If you ever forgot what word you used last to tag, you can find all your tags in the left sidebar under “current tags.” Using too many variations of the same word (like recipes or recipe) might lead to less organization and worse search results.
- Checkable boxes – My favorite! Click this button and it puts a checkable box in your post! You can easily create a shopping list, sync it to your mobile device, then check off items at the store! Love this task-app feature.
- Insert a table – When you click this you can choose what size of table and how much of the screen you want it to take up. Then, it puts the empty cells into your note! Spreadsheet geeks rejoice! It can do tables.
- This is just a horizontal line. Not much else to say, but it breaks up different parts of a note really nicely.
- Record and insert voice memos – This is way too easy! Just click the mic, record your audio, then it inserts the clip into your note.
- Record and insert video – When you click this circle button, it brings up a webcam recording. Record your video then it inserts the video into your note.
- Attach a file in the note – Finally! I can attach files from my desktop computer without having to send myself an email! It accepts any file type.
There ya go! Now what other questions do you have about Evernote? What do you use it for the most?
I also created a vlog walking you through even more features of Evernote. Please let me know what you liked and especially what you want to learn more of. I will do a part 2 if there is demand.