“Humanity runs on coffee!” Isn’t this true? Clearly, the world famous beverage doesn’t need any introduction, but there are a lot of unknown facts about it. We all love coffee, even though we don’t know the history of this amazing drink. Coffee is the second largest traded commodity in the world after oil – that’s amazing! It has always played a very important role in the history of human civilization and, being a coffee lover, it is your duty to know it thoroughly.
So – how about we dive into the history of coffee and learn some interesting facts about it along the way. Let’s go!
The history of coffee- from the bean to cup!
Coffee Began in Ethiopia
Just like all the good things in life happen suddenly, the discovery of coffee was also a pleasant accident. According to the archeological excavations, coffee originated in modern day Ethiopia. It is said that these regions are witnessing the growth of wild coffee right from the time when human inhabitant started in Ethiopia.
There are many stories about the discovery of coffee, but the most famous one is about how a goat herder named Khaldi ended up discovering the divine drink.
The story goes like this- a very fine day the goat herder Khaldi was finding it very difficult to settle his heard after he brought them back from grazing. His noticed that his heard was chewing the glossy leaves of a tree and the red cherries on its branches. He tried the berries himself and soon became very restless. He threw the berries into the fire and was amazed by the delicious aroma coming out from it. After that people tried the berries by crushing and mixing them in hot water to tame its strongness and this is how coffee beans were converted into the coffee drink.
The rumors about this delicious and energetic drink spread to Europe till the 17th century and the Venetian merchants were the first to ship the green coffee from the ports of mocha. The beverage and beans soon spread in the, rest of the part of Europe and by the 18th century, the new beverage became famous in most of the world. People started drinking it as the backer of clear thinking, intellectual discourse and an age of reason.
Interesting Facts About Coffee
Coffee has some amazing facts. Use these little nuggets to impress your friends, or just learn more about this addicting potion.
Coffee has traveled a long way from its birth place, and therefore it has a lot to tell you. Here are some of the very interesting facts about coffee:
- The bean belt– all the coffee in the world is grown in the Bean Belt that lies in the area of Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn. This belt has the best coffee producing regions.
- There are two species of coffee– one of the species is Robusta, and the other one is Arabica. Where 30 percent of the world’s population consumes Robusta, the other 70 percent goes for Arabica.
- Coffee is grown on the trees– people generally feel that coffee is grown on plants, but only a few know that the coffee tries can grow up to 30 feet but are generally cultivated around 10 feet for easy picking.
- The berries– the coffee beans are inside the berries. These berries are dried and stripped to get a green coffee bean.
- The two pops – the green coffee bean is roasted till the bean is popped and becomes double in size. After this, the beans are left to pop once again. After the two pops, the beans are all done.
- Instant coffee invention – the instant coffee was invented in 1906 be a Belgian man named George Washington.
- The age of coffee plant– the coffee plant can live for 200n years, or more may be.
There you have it! My favorite little bits of coffee trivia. Now the next time you are having the divine sip, you can remember these facts and enjoy.
Ways to prepare coffee
Well! You can be creative with that. You can prepare your coffee the way you like and have it as per your mood. Coffee is a very cooperative beverage and can also be mixed with deserts. However, there are some most famous and common ways to prepare coffee. You must have heard about the entire different range of names like espresso, Mocha, Americano, etc., but it is possible that you do not know the difference between them. Here are different forms of preparing coffee, their names, and difference:
- Caffe Latte– this form is prepared with Espresso, a lot of milk and foam on top.
- Mocha– it has espresso a little bit of chocolate syrup, some milk and a lot of whipped cream on top of it.
- Cappuccino– it is made with espresso, some quantity of milk and a lot of foam on the top.
- Americano– it is the type of coffee most workaholics like to have. The Americano is prepared with espresso and water in it. The amount of espresso can be adjusted according to your taste.
- Breve- it also has some espresso milk and topping of foam.
How Coffee Works
There is a lot to know about coffee, so much so that a book can be written on it. The coffee has caffeine in it making the blood pressure a bit high and your brain active. The increased blood pressure makes you energetic instantly. It helps you be energetic and do your work. Black coffee is good for your heart, and it can also fight dehydration. It has antioxidants and some cancer fighting elements as well. There are a lot of benefits of coffee, but you must know what quantity to have.