Follow these tips and learn how to decorate Halloween cupcakes! It’s a fun way to use all that leftover Trick or Treat candy.
Fun Way To Use Leftover Trick or Treat Candy
Do you want to hand out cupcakes to trick or treaters this year? Or maybe you need a creative way to use up all the candy that is laying around your house.
Whatever the reason, these are some really cute and festive cupcakes! Let your kids help you decorate them. They are super-easy and tons of fun!
How To Decorate Cupcakes With Candy
I put all of the instructions in a printable card at the bottom of this post. First, I’ll give you an overview of how to do it!
Tools You Will Need
This is what you will use to decorate the cupcakes:
- Muffin Pan
- Halloween Cupcake Liners
- Disposable Piping Bag
- Medium Star Piping Tip
- Ice Cream Scoop
How Do You Make Candy Stay On The Cupcakes?
The secret to making the candy stay-put is to melt some chocolate ganache and pipe a dab of ganache on top of the cupcake first.
Then, stack the candy on top of the ganache. As the chocolate solidifies, the candy will be stuck. It’s like edible adhesive!
Another option is to melt some frosting and use that instead. Both ganache and frosting will keep the candy in place.
Can I Use Any Type Of Candy?
Yes! That’s the fun part about these cupcakes. Let your kiddo dump out their bag of treats and pick out which candies they want to put on top of their cupcakes.
Here’s the entire tutorial in an easy-to-print (and read) card.
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- black gel food coloring
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16 mini twix candy bars cut into 3 pieces
- 4 packages of Wilton 3-oz Halloween Sprinkle Mix
- Make the cupcakes with boxed cupcake mix. Follow the directions on the box. When they are finished baking, set them aside to cool.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before you decorate them.
- Make the frosting in a stand mixer. Combine all of the frosting ingredients and mix on medium speed until it is all combined and smooth.
- Add black food coloring to the cupcakes and stir until it is completely mixed.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled off, use an ice cream scoop and place a scoop of frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- Pour the Halloween sprinkles into a bowl.
- Dip the cupcakes into the Halloween sprinkles.
- Set them aside and make your chocolate ganache.
- Using a medium pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium bowl, pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips.
- Let sit for 2 minutes and then mix until smooth and combined.
- Scoop the ganache into the piping bag.
- Cut the tip off the piping bag.
- Pipe a thick circle in the center of the frosting.
- Place candy onto the ganache.
- Pipe more ganache on top of the candy and stick more candy to the new ganache.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 23gNet Carbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
More Halloween Fun
If you enjoyed these cupcakes, here are some more Halloween things you’ll like next!