Follow this easy recipe to make your own salted caramel hot cocoa bombs. Just add the bomb to a mug and pour hot milk on top. Stir, and you have rich, creamy, hot chocolate!
What Are Hot Cocoa Bombs?
Also called hot chocolate bombs, these little creations are perfection portioned treats that explode when you pour hot milk on them. Everything you need to make the perfect cup of hot chocolate is in one hot cocoa bomb.
A DIY Food Gift Idea
If you are looking for a creative and different homemade gift, these are perfect! Just wrap each one individually in aluminum foil and then put them in a pretty cellophane bag.
You can even give it to them along with a cute coffee mug. It’s a very thoughtful gift that anyone will enjoy!
Hot Cocoa Bombs Video
If you are a visual learner and want to see the entire process, here is a really easy video I made.
How To Make Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs
The entire recipe is in an easy-to-read printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. First, I have some step-by-step photos and tips that explain it slowly, in case you need the extra help.
To make these hot cocoa bombs, here is what you need from the store:
- Chocolate Candy Melts
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Mini Marshmallows
- Caramel Sauce
- Caramel Candies
- Coarse Ground Salt
- Chocolate Sprinkles
You also need bath bomb molds or cake pop molds. If you are going to use a bath bomb mold, set them in a muffin tin so they don’t roll around.
Melt the Chocolate
First, melt the chocolate. You can do this in the microwave or on the stove. No matter which way you choose to do it, make sure that you do it slowly. Melt them a little bit, stir them, and then melt them a little more. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.
Pour Melted Chocolate Into The Molds
Add just enough melted chocolate so that it thinly coats the inside of the molds. For a regular bath bomb mold this was about 2 tablespoons.
Then, use your spoon to smooth it around the inside edge.
Freeze The Molds
After you fill them with the chocolate, place them in the freezer for about 5 minutes. I found it was easier to place the molds in a muffin tin and put the entire muffin tin in the freezer.
Fill Chocolate Cups With Caramel
Next, remove the chocolate from the molds. Unwrap one piece of caramel candy for each cocoa bomb and put it inside one-half of the chocolate.
Add Cocoa Mix and Mini Marshmallows
Fill the cocoa bomb cup with as much hot chocolate mix as it will hold and top with mini marshmallows.
Form The Cocoa Bombs
Heat up a plate in the microwave until it is warm to the touch. Then, take the empty half of the chocolate cup and touch it to the plate until it starts to melt slightly. As soon as it starts to melt a bit, place it on top of the filled cocoa bomb.
Use your fingers to spread the melted chocolate around the edges, sealing the two halves together.
Drizzle the salted caramel hot cocoa bombs with caramel sauce, sprinkle some salt on top, and add some chocolate sprinkles.
How To Make Hot Chocolate From Cocoa Bombs
This is the fun part!
First, heat up your milk until it is steaming. You want it almost boiling – but don’t burn it.
Place a cocoa bomb in your mug. Pour the hot milk on top of the cocoa bomb. It will explode!
Then, just stir it and it’s ready to drink.
Feel free to use your favorite dairy-free milk. Oat milk tastes creamy and delicious in hot chocolate. You can use water, but it doesn’t taste as rich and delicious as when you use milk.
Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe
Here is the entire recipe in the printable recipe card!
- 2 cups Chocolate Candy Melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Caramel Sauce
- 12 Caramel Candies
- 1 tbsp Coarse Ground Salt
- 2 tbsp Chocolate Jimmies Sprinkles
- Place chocolate candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave per the directions on the package.
- Place 2 tbsp melted candy melt into one half of a bomb mold and, using the bottom of your tablespoon measuring spoon, press the chocolate up the sides of the mold, keeping it thick but even. Repeat with 12 bomb mold halves.
- Place the chocolate filled bomb molds into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from the freezer and gently tap the sides of the mold, pressing on one side of the chocolate to make the chocolate slid out of the mold.
- Fill 6 of the molds with 2 tbsp hot chocolate mix, 1 pinch salt, 1 caramel candy, and 6-8 mini marshmallows.
- Heat a plate or a flat-bottom bowl in the microwave until the surface of the plate is warm to the touch.
- Press one of the empty chocolate bomb halves open-side-down onto the flat portion of the warm plate for about 10 seconds. This will gently melt the rim of the chocolate cup.
- Immediately press this warmed edge chocolate cup to the top of one of the filled cups. This will join the two halves of the hot cocoa bomb.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately follow by sprinkling chocolate jimmies and another pinch of salt over them.
- Place the hot cocoa bombs into the freezer for 5 minutes to get them to set, then remove and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 cocoa bomb
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 1151mgCarbohydrates: 115gFiber: 4gSugar: 97gProtein: 8g
More Chocolate Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are some more chocolate recipes you should try next!